Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: RE: XML catalog resolution problems

At 12:27 2002 10 30 +0100, Jeanson Mauritz wrote:

>When trying xsltproc, I found that it accepts and resolves <system>
>entries for stylesheets in catalog files. As I take it, this is not
>the correct behaviour.

You are correct, xsltproc is not in compliance with the XML Catalog spec.

The XML Catalog spec makes it clear that system entries are for
resolving external identifiers (production 75 in XML) and clearly
says about URI entries [1]:

4.2. URI Entries

  Other URI references, for example namespace names, stylesheets,
  included files, graphics, and hypertext references, simply identify other resources. The
  input to a resolver that locates resources is simply the original URI reference.

  For the purposes of resolving URI references, the following entries are considered:

           The uri entry indicates that an entity manager must use the associated
           URI reference to locate the resource.

           The rewriteURI entry ...

           The delegateURI entry ...

Section 7 Catalog Resolution Semantics has two sections, one each
describing External Identifier Resolution and URI Resolution in
great detail.  Again it is made clear that system entries are only
for resolving external identifiers and cannot be used for resolving
other URIs such as those for stylesheets.

It is wrong to use the system entries to resolve "other URI references
[such as] stylesheets...."

I believe Daniel Veillard is well aware of this, but he disagrees
with the XML Catalog spec in this regard and has therefore written
xsltproc to do what he thinks it should instead of to be compliant
with the OASIS Committee Specification.

If you want to write XML catalogs that comply with the spec and work
interoperably in compliant implementations, you would be wise to use
the system and uri entry types accordingly.

paul

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec.html#s.uri.ent
[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec.html#s.semantics