Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problem with XInclude

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:21:40AM +0100, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
> Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
> > Thanks, that works.
>
>   Or so I thought at first.
>
>   In the XInclude'd files I have, for instance, german umlauts which now

  In what encoding ???

>   get displayed incorrectly in the output HTML.

  Time to read the spec :
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#text-included-items

------------------
The encoding of such a resource is determined by:

    * external encoding information, if available, otherwise
    * if the media type of the resource is text/xml, application/xml, or matches the conventions text/*+xml or application/*+xml as described in XML Media Types [IETF RFC 3023], the encoding is recognized as specified in XML 1.0, otherwise
    * the value of the encoding attribute if one exists, otherwise
    * UTF-8.

Byte sequences outside the range allowed by the encoding are a fatal error. Characters that are not permitted in XML documents also are a fatal error.

[Definition: A range of characters (the selected range) may be identified by a fragment identifier.] The syntax of the fragment identifier is interpreted using the syntax of the fragment identifier for the media type text/plain. In the absence of a fragment identifier, the selected range contains all the characters in the resource except the initial byte order mark (BOM) if one is present. A BOM is the character U+FEFF when it appears as the first character in resource encoded in UTF-8, UTF-16 or UTF-32. UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE will not contain a BOM.

    How do you get the encoding of a .php file, what's his mime type, if not
you will have to make it UTF8 (or UTF16).

Daniel