Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: FOP rendering of variablelist

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 12:54:49PM -0800, Matthew Scholtz wrote:
> Hello, am using XXE editor, xsltproc, latest stylesheets
> (1.57.0), FOP 0.20.4 on Win32 for FO/PDF rendering.  System
> (minus FOP) works great for HTML.

> Although I've read the comments on FOP being less than
> perfect, I don't relish trying to set up a TeX system, so
> I'm trying it.
>
> And it actually has done a decent job so far of rendering
> my stuff.  It's not beautiful, but it's readable.  The
> biggest glitch so far is in how it renders <variablelist>
> elements.  It makes two columns, and the right column (with
> the definitions) looks fine (left margins lined up, etc.)
> However, when the left colum (the terms) is longer than 20
> characters or so, the term ends up running over the 2nd
> column, juxtaposed on top of the definition.  Basically, it
> fails to wrap the term when it's too wide to
>
> I know nothing about FO syntax, so wondering if anyone
> has dealt with this before, or could suggest a stylesheet
> change to make FOP happier.
>
> Also wondering if the problem could be the <itemizedlist>
> embedded in one of the varlist <listitem>'s, or the fact
> that some of <varlistentry>'s contain more than one <term>
> (although those aren't the only ones that overrun their
> column in the PDF), or if it's just some lack of support in
> FOP.  All of these structures render fine into HTML.  See
> below for snippets.

You can give FOP some help in setting
indents if it can't get it right.  You can
do that with an attribute or processing instruction
on individual lists.  See the following
for some guidance on how to do that in DocBook XSL:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/PrintOutput.html#ListIndents

In the worst cases you can format a list "as blocks",
which means the term is on a line above the paragraph.
It doesn't look as good, but at least they don't
collide.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com