Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: How to select <imageobject> alternativein<mediaobject>?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:22:56PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> > I suggested in a previous message that role="html" or
> > role="fo" in each imageobject could be used, with a
> > stylesheet customization to act on the role value.  I'm
> > wondering if this method would be appropriate as a standard
> > feature of the stylesheets? That is, should the stylesheets
> > designate the role attribute as the method to select
> > which imageobject to use?
>
> Nice idea, but we should investigate further how it would interfere with
> profiling. Using role="html|fo" on images would mean that people
> wouldn't be able to easily profile document on role attribute used on
> other places.

Yes, I was most concerned about its possible conflict
with profiling.  Thanks for responding.

> If someone is today using profiling with something like
> profile.role=foo, he must change this to profile.role=foo;html;fo unless
> he will lost all images with role prsent (they will not survive
> profiling on role attribute with value "foo").

Yes, that's true.

> So I think that at least:
>
> 1. image selection based on role attribute should be controlled by
> on/off parameter

It seems that this should be a feature of the profiling
step, not the processing step.  As you say, if someone has
role attributes on their imageobjects and are doing
profiling without taking "html;fo" into account, then by
the time the regular stylesheet gets the content, they
won't have the elements for this option to act on.  If they
are taking it into account, then they would always want the
option on during the formatting step anyway.  So it would
seem that it is the profiling step that needs such an
option, to enable the profiling step to make exceptions for
imageobject role attributes during the profiling step so
they survive to the formatting step.

I'm thinking that people might have other conflicts for the
use of the role attribute in their documents. For example,
<emphasis role="bold">, or <emphasis role="mystyle"> with
the 'emphasis.propagates.style' attribute set to 1 so the
HTML stylesheet does <span class="mystyle"> in the HTML.
Essentially if you use role for profiling, you cannot use
role for other purposes without always including those
values in your "profile.role" selection.

Perhaps the non-profiling role values should be in a
separate "profile.role.accept" parameter that is a
permanent fixture of the stylesheet or customization.  One
would perform a particular profiling by setting their
profile.role on the command line, and that would be merged
by the stylesheet with the values in profile.role.accept.
That way, the profiling gets taken care of and the other
role attributes survive to be acted upon by the formatting
stylesheet.  The default value of profile.role.accept could
be "html;fo", and it is customizable.

> 2. documentation of stylesheets should clearly state that it is not
> recommended to do profiling based on role attribute if you are using it
> for marking image target media

Actually it should cover any use of role that is not
intended for profiling.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com