Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Is bottom baseline alignment of inlinemediaobjectpossible ?

At 21:32 2002 11 28 -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:36:35PM +0100, Alain NAKACHE wrote:
>> . . .
>> and here is a schema of the result with XLST 1.57.0 + FOP 0.24 :
>>
>> . +-+  Blahhhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh,
>>    | |
>>    +-+
>>    Blahhh, ....
>> . +-+ Blahhhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh,
>>    | |
>>    +-+
>>    Blahhh, ....
>>
>> With DSSSL + JadeTex i obtained this result :
>>
>>    +-+
>>    | |
>> . +-+  Blahhhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh,
>>    Blahhh, ....
>>    +-+
>>    | |
>> . +-+  Blahhhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh,
>>    Blahhh, ....
>>
>> Is it possible to obtain the same result as DSSSL rendering with XSLT ?
>
>Yes, but not with FOP it seems.  The default alignment for
>XSL-FO is for the bottom of the graphics block to be on the
>baseline of the text, as your DSSSL example produces.  The
>DocBook XSL stylesheets are putting out the correct XSL-FO,
>but FOP isn't getting it right.  When I process the same
>file with RenderX's XEP, I get the correct baseline
>alignment that you want.

When I run Alain's source through XSLT (using the 1.50 stylesheets),
I get the following for the first fo:list-item (with various irrelevant
properties elided and the results pretty-printed):

<fo:list-item>
  <fo:list-item-label end-indent="label-end()">
    <fo:block>&#x2022;</fo:block>
  </fo:list-item-label>
  <fo:list-item-body start-indent="body-start()">
    <fo:block>
      <fo:external-graphic src="url(...)"/>Blahhhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh,
      Blahhh, Blahhh, ....
    </fo:block>
  </fo:list-item-body>
</fo:list-item>

I agree that the list-item-body should look as you two say it should,
but I'm missing why the result shouldn't look more like:

. +-+
  | |
  +-+  Blahhhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh, Blahhh,
  Blahhh, ....

with the list-item-label (the bullet) aligning nearer the top of the graphic.

6.8.3 fo:list-item says [1]:

  The children of each normal area returned by an fo:list-item
  formatting object returned by the fo:list-item-label and fo:list-item-body
  objects are positioned in the block-progression-direction with respect to
  each other according to the relative-align trait.

and 7.13.6 "relative-align" [2] indicates that the initial value
for relative-align is before which means:

  the before-edge of the first area descendant generated by the
  fo:list-item-label is placed coincident with the before-edge of
  the area generated by the fo:list-item.  Similarly the before-edge
  of the first area descendant generated by the fo:list-item-body is
  placed coincident with the before-edge of the area generated by the
  fo:list-item.

Assuming a line-stacking-strategy of max-height (which is the default),
doesn't that all mean that the result should have the bullet aligned
nearer the top of the graphic?

paul

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice6.html#fo_list-item
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#relative-align