Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: XInclude doesn't validate with xmllint

It happens that the following idea just reached my concious mind, so I try
to followup to the correct thread.

IIRC the context was about validating documents before or after xinclude
processing.

My opinion is still that we need to be able to validate before, and that
does not prevent to validate after as well.

There is even a use-case for this.  If the individual XML files do not
validate (ie. conform to a DTD which has the xinclude elements), then we
cannot make use of the existing SGML editing tools (psgml comes to my mind
as one of the most widely used, since its existence even brought some vi
adepts to launch emacs sometimes).

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:41:08AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >   But allowing an extra attribute everywhere is quite simpler
> > > than allowing an extra element everywhere :-)
> >
> > "everywhere" is probably too strong, i bet noone wants to use this for
> > inline elements.
>
>   Well, it's hard to predict a priori in what way people are gonna use
> a relatively new tool, I would not constraint the use case while there
> have been only little use so far.

Yes, and IMHO not adding the xinclude elements to the DTD will effectively
constraint the use case of DocBook.

--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@altern.org> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?
Debian-related: <dirson@debian.org> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: