Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 02:59:21PM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> Bob, your document is excellent.  I've been able to use it and get
> xsltproc and xalan2 working, no problems.

Glad to hear it works.

> A few very minor suggestions....
>
> I find the file paths your citing rather odd and probably not very
> exemplary.  For instance, in bottom of ch 5, you cite the XSL
> stylesheet at the location /usr/lib/xsl/docbook/html/docbook.xsl which
> doens't conform to FHS filesystem standards.  Ideally the file
> locations should comply with the LSB/XML standard, although I can no
> longer find that standard (!! maybe it's dead?).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I couldn't find anything
in the LSB documents about XML stylesheets.
Maybe you are thinking of the "Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard", which is part of LSB.  The latest version is
23 May 2001.  It is available at
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

It says to use /usr/share/sgml for SGML and
XML applications.  It mentions a docbook subdirectory for
the DTD, but makes no mention of stylesheet locations.

I don't like using a path with "sgml" in it for a book
that only covers XML.  Maybe I'll just use /usr/share/xml.

> The make rules in "Makefile" section of Ch 3 was rather suboptimal.
> You say:
>
> html:
>          xsltproc -output myfile.html ../docbook-xsl-1.50/html/docbook.xsl myflie.xml
>
> (Note the "myflie" typo above).
>
> I would suggest (using your filenaming):
>
> XSLSTYLE=../docbook-xsl-1.50/html/docbook.xsl
> %.html: %.xml $(XSLSTYLE)
>         xsltproc --output $@ $(XSLSTYLE) $<
>
> .PHONY: html
> html: myfile.html
>
> It's more modular, less hard-coding, and allows make to remake as needed.

Thanks, I'll add this better example.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com