Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 10:05:46AM +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
> At 14:33 14/12/2002 -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> >My doc covers both file path references and catalog references.
> >For those just getting started, it is simpler to point to a
> >real file on their local system.  After they get that working,
> >I have a whole chapter on XML catalogs.
> Having been there and suffered Bob, perhaps a mention of the symptoms of
> the processor going to the web (succeeding or failing), and how/where it

   Hum, for xsltproc I added a --nonet option which will make the
processor barf if it had to go and fetch a non-local resource.
For general debugging, still in the same framework, exporting the
environment variable XML_DEBUG_CATALOG allow to trace the accesses
and failure for resolving resources names against the catalog used.
    http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html#validate

> I found it infuriating at first, especially when, having done it and got it all
> working, Norm produces a new version and I have to do it all again!

  Yup, unless using the "latest" canonical URI which should be remapped
locally to your latest installed version. The problem is that it's a bit
error prone (e.g. when Norm removes/renames some existing template rules
which are in use by your customization layer <grin/> :)

Daniel