Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: language specific character in PDF output

Togan Muftuoglu wrote:

> Because even though you can use diffrent fonts in the document they are
> not possible in the bookmarks since they only use the Adobe defined
> fonts which have the limited PDF encoding

Bookmarks are different issue. They are not displayed with embeded font,
they always use some system font of hosting OS. PDF format allows to
specify Unicode encoding vector for bookmarks, but AFAIK Acrobat Reader
support this from version 5.0, earlier versions contained some bugs in
this. For that reason almost all PDF creation tools supported only ISO
Latin 1 characters in bookmars as this was pretty safe.

> I can not not get the bookmarks displaying the correct characters even
> with PassiveTex

And you probably won't able even in a future. TeX is not Unicode based
and encoding information is lost during processing. Maybe this can be
solved by merging Omega (Unicode based TeX) and pdfTeX projects. But I'm
not sure whether someone is working on this.

I think that I was able to get Unicode characters in bookmarks using XSL
Formatter with their PDF Output option.

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz