Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Problem with images when generating HTML output ...

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 09:04:52AM -0500, Jeff Beal wrote:
> The stylesheets don't add extensions to match the format.  They assume the
> filename is correct and use the format as part of the mediaobject selection
> mechanism.  In order to do what you want, you'd have to copy and customize
> the template named "process.image" in graphics.xsl.

Actually, while modifying the selection process, I
discovered yet another obscure feature of the stylesheets.
The selection process actually *will* add an extension to
an extensionless filename if you set the
'graphic.default.extension' parameter to the extension
(without the dot). For filenames without an extension
the stylesheet will add that extension when testing
for a valid graphics filename.

So another method of selecting your graphics file
would be to use one imageobject without an extension,
and pass the desired extension on the command line or in
your stylesheet with that parameter.  You have to be
consistent, though, as you only get one choice.

Personally, I would rather select using role on
multiple imageobjects, which will be in the next
release of the stylesheets.  Then it isn't dependent
on remembering to set the parameter.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com