Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: book and website navigation

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 04:55:45PM -0500, Kevin Dunn wrote:
> I have an official website built with the Website 2.3 DTD (xsl, xsltproc).
>
> I have a DocBook book (currently sgml, dsl, openjade) that I would like to serve from my official website. I would like to navigate between the website and the book. I have 2 approaches that I have tried experimentally:
>
> 1) Serve the book from within the website. I have tried this with a small xml book, book.xml:
>
> <!DOCTYPE webpage
>        PUBLIC "-//Norman Walsh//DTD Website V2.3//EN"
>        "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/website/2.3/website.dtd"; [
> <!ENTITY book SYSTEM "book.xml" NDATA XML>
> ]>
> <webpage>
>   <para>
>     <olink targetdocent="book" type="embed">here is a book</olink>
>   </para>
> </webpage>
>
> The results are almost what is required; the small test
> book appears inside the webpage. But the entire book
> appears in a single file, even though I used the
> chunk-tabular.xsl stylesheet. Is this a problem with
> xsltproc or is there some other trick to chunking?

The word "chunk" in "chunk.tabular.xsl" is misleading.  That
stylesheet doesn't chunk a document into sections like
chunk.xsl does.  It simply borrows some of the chunking code
to output multiple files in a single XSLT process.  The
multiple files are those <tocentry> elements in your
layout.xml website file.  Website isn't set up to
actually chunk a webpage.

> 2) Build the book separately from the website and place a
> link to it (using <ulink/> or a <tocentry/>) in the
> website. With the dsl stylesheets the book is chunked into
> pages with header and footer navigation. In addition to the
> usual Prev, Next, and Home, I would like to add a
> navigational link to the official website. That way, people
> who find a random book page via a search will be able to
> find the website. Additionally, search engines will be able
> to recognize the book pages as part of the website co

The chunk.xsl stylesheet will also chunk a book into
multiple files, so you don't need to resort to dsssl.
You can also customize the header and footer.

> Or is there a third way to navigate between a book and a website?

Well, I'm working on getting the new olinks to work
with website.  That would let you build your book
separately, and use olinks to cross reference into it
from your webpages.  If you want to read about
the new olinking mechanism, see:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Olinking.html

You can actually use it now, if you write your olink
database document by hand.  I'm trying to make it
easier to use, though.

If you have just one reference, though, you might just
build your book separately and put a ulink in your
<webpage> somewhere.  It can take a relative href path to
your book's index.html, and it is simpler to use than olink.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com