Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: objections to mediaobject with many imagedata

Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> writes:

> That's a great method of selecting a graphic format if your build
> system is set up for it.  I'm not sure why you are objecting,
> though, as you can do this now, without any change to the
> stylesheets, right?

I don't think I ever "objected" per se.  I just felt people should
know there's another way to do it -- a way, I feel, that maintains
better separation between authors and document engineers.  I find it's
pretty common that authors who contribute to content might not be
capable and should not be required to maintain the infrastructure of
the build system.  The system I outline takes the burden of image
format conversion and selection off the authors and puts it on the
engineers.

I've never seen a single example in DocBook documentation out there
about this, so I wanted to point it out.