Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Rely on CSS?

Paul Grosso said:
> And it means you can no longer just send a single file to some
> recipient and have them view the result in a browser.  You have
> to solve the packaging problem.  Granted, you have to do this
> whenever you have a graphic in your document too, but having an
> external style file does add some complexity.
Looking at the fact that most documents require at least the admonition
graphics that come with DocBook, I'd say that you can almost never deploy
a single file. My DocBook environment creates a ZIP archive containing
HTML, CSS and figure subdirectory. It shouldn't be too difficult to create
a batch that does exactly this on any os. IMHO this solves the packaging
problem.

> Right--so what?  We're talking about the case where the source
> is DocBook XML.  We're using HTML as the "PDF of the Web".
>
> I'm exaggerating a bit (I like clean HTML too), but the point
> is still there.  Using some embedded CSS seems perfectly reasonable when
> you're creating output (as opposed to the authoritative source).
When used as PDF of the web, I agree; but I still disagree when you want
to procude HTML as a source, for example for a CMS or a website.

Kind regards,

Stefan Priebsch
CEO

---
>e-novative> - e-Business Software & Solutions
Isartorplatz 3 - 80331 Munich - Germany

http://www.e-novative.de