Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Is it time to rely on CSS?

> Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
>
> The answer seems pretty clearly to be "no".

I think the DocBook HTML stylesheets should do everything
they can to *enable* the proper use of CSS for styling
the HTML they generate.  Currently they do a very good
of providing hooks with div, span, and class attributes.

I think the real question was "Why are you hard coding this
particular style that prevents my CSS stylesheet from
controlling it because of the cascade order?".  We
currently have the 'css.decoration' parameter that controls
the application of some style attributes within elements.
Perhaps there just needs to be a more rigorous pass through
the stylesheet to make sure every hardcoded style is
controlled by that parameter.  Then the stylesheet could
supply all the inline styles for those users that want them,
but turn them off for those who want a complete stylesheet.
If they turn off css.decoration and fail to supply the
stylesheet, then that's their fault.

I still think it would be useful to supply a sample
CSS stylesheet with the distribution that would serve
as a starting point for those who want to turn off
css.decoration.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com