Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: XMLSPY and DocBook

In my tests of XML Spy, I found it to be a less-than-adequate XML document
editor.  It seems to be quite capable for data-oriented XML entry, but not
for writing documents.  XMLMind is a free editor with plenty of limitations
(in particular, it doesn't handle entities well.  If it is able to resolve a
text entity, it will replace the entity with its value.), but for those
unfamiliar with programming and markup, it's a reasonable free editor.  If
you have a budget, go for XMetal (from Corel) or Epic (from Arbortext).
XMetal is the cheaper of the two, but I think Epic is worth it if you'll be
doing a lot of work.

That's just my two bits.

Jeff Beal

-----Original Message-----
From: Corey Arnold [mailto:corey@wubios.wustl.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 3:49 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: XMLSPY and DocBook

Hi,
I am considering using DocBook to create a Manual of Procedures.  Ideally
I'd like to do so in an environment that is easy for those who are
unfamiliar with programming and mark up to understand.  Currently I am
trying to use XMLSPY.  If someone has attempted this before I would very
much appreciate input into the feasibility of this plan or if someone can
suggest an information resource that would be great too.

Thanks,

Corey