Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: xhtml customization

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 03:41:09PM -0500, ed nixon wrote:
> I would like to create an XHTML customization that does these things:
> 1. removes the id attribute from the <meta name="generator"... element
> 2. removes the xmlns attribute from the H? output
>
> Perhaps I can turn off the generator meta tag, but I'd rather not.
>
> I've sifted through Bob's document looking for something obvious about
> the H? elements, but I need some help sorting through the complexity.
>
> These items are kind of important to me because xmlns in H? and that one
> id attribute are parsed as invalid by both my Homesite validator and
> W3C. The cleanup and try-for-valid parameters don't seem to help.

Hmm, neither of these are actually produced by the
stylesheet!

I looked at the template in xhtml/docbook.xsl,
and  it is *not* generating an id attribute.  If I process
a document with the xhtml stylesheet and xsltproc, I get an
id="generator" attribute in the <meta name="generator">
output.  But when I process it with Saxon, I don't get the
id attribute.  I have to conclude that xsltproc is
volunteering that attribute, but I can't see why.

The xmlns attribute is output at the discretion of
the processor.  It should be able to put it just in
the document root element <HTML> without having to
repeat it all over the place.  Older versions of
xsltproc put out a lot more than it needed, but later
versions don't.  Saxon seems to do pretty well.
Perhaps if you upgrade your xsltproc it will be cleaner.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com