Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: orderedlist and listitem without para: bug orfeature?

"...not legal docbook at all." The content model for listitem doesn't allow character data. You must have a para (or a similar block level element http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/listitem.html). It's best to use a tool like xmllint (http://xmlsoft.org/xmldtd.html) to validate your document against the DTD before processing it. The xsls (for the most part) aren't designed to alert you of bad markup.

David
-----Original Message-----
From: David Bridgeland [mailto:bridgeland@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 6:50 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

All,

I have <listitem>s without <para>s inside them. For example:

<para>
The component suffered from three failings:
<orderedlist>
<listitem>It was slow.</listitem>
<listitem>It ran hot. </listitem>
<listitem>It did not actually work.</listitem>
<listitem>It made loud noises.</listitem>
</orderedlist>
No, four. The component suffered from four failings.
</para>

The docbook-xsl translates this to fine HTML. But when this is translated to PDF (by way of FO), I end up losing the content of each list item. It comes out looking like this:

The component suffered from three failings:

1.

2.

3.

4.

No, four. The component suffered from four failings.

I am not sure whether the FO is good, i.e. whether the problem is with the docbook-xsl or FOP. Or perhaps this is not legal docbook at all? Perhaps listitems must always have paras in them, and docbook-xsl is too forgiving when translating to HTML?

Toolchain: docbook-xsl-1.60.1 ; Libxml2-2.4.30.win32 ; Libxslt-1.0.23.win32 ; fop-0.20-5rc

Dave Bridgeland

Do you Yahoo!?