Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Docbook setup on Debian 3.0

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 03:43, Yann Dirson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:00:20PM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> > I want to restart my DocBook efforts.  I have SGML source and want
> > to produce HTML and PDF docs.
> >
> > Should I start by installing these packages: docbook, docbook-dsssl?
>
> and openjade1.3 - there are some hardcoded deps that will pull old
> "jade", but you should not use it.
>
> You may be interested by the additional stylesheets in
> alcovebook-sgml.  Just run "docbook-2-pdf --help" to get them listed.

Maybe this will turn up on a Google for "docbook debian".

Here's what worked for me on Debian 3.0:

as root:
apt-get install docbook
apt-get install docbook-dsssl
apt-get install sp
apt-get install openjade

as user:
$ export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=\
"/usr/share/sgml/OpenJade/catalog:/usr/share/sgml/entities/sgml-iso-entities-8879.1986/catalog"

$ openjade \
-d /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/html/docbook.dsl \
-t sgml \
test.sgml

Where test.sgml is a simple sgml source file taken from here:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-docbk.html#h5

TDG gave excellent clues about where to find the style sheets.
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/documentation/reference/html/appa.html

I got the style sheets (docbook-dsssl) directly from Sourceforge and unpacked
them in my user dir.  Then I became aware of what apt-get install
docbook-dsssl had done (duh).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/

TDG was pretty good about mentioning that I needed to define the environment
variable SGML_CATALOG_FILES.  I used trial/error method to find the catalogs
that helped.

I am now able to regenerate my DocBook source into HTML.  SGML, XML, and
DSSSL are now FM instead of PFM.

--
Mike M.