Subject: RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: DocBook XSL-FO: content-width="scale-to-fit"

Hi,

> What are your opinions on this matter? I think that the scalefit
> attribute should be considered in some way. For XEP, it would
> be best if
> scalefit would set content-width and content-height to "scale-to-fit"
> only if contentdepth and contentwidth are not explicitely set. But I
> have no idea about what implications this does make for other FO
> processors, so I would be thankful if some people here could
> enlighten me.
>
> I have also filed a RFE at
> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=685806&group_
> id=21935&atid=373750>,
> so you might comment there as well.

I just ran into this problem trying to insert some SVG graphics into my document, rendered by FOP. The graphics were big, and were not scaled to fit on the page.

I manually edited the FO to change content-height and content-width to "scale-to-fit". Unfortunately FOP (0.20.5rc) does not seem able to handle this:

[ERROR] Error in content-width property value 'scale-to-fit': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined
[ERROR] Error in content-height property value 'scale-to-fit': org.apache.fop.fo.expr.PropertyException: No conversion defined

This seems to be a known limitation in FOP, which in turn may be why the stylesheets don't use this attribute by default.