Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: needing clarification about XSL transformation

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Markus Spath wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Vitaly Ostanin wrote:
> >

> >>With this style xslt-processor must not copy comments and PI.
> >>This style not overriding built-in templates, so saxon is
> >>incorrect.
> >

> >   ah, so as i read this, the conflict resolution is that,
> > even if i have a template that matches "node()", that will
> > be overridden by the more explicit built-in rule that matches
> > "comment()" explicitly, whose effect is to do nothing with
> > the comment.
> >
> >   perhaps it's just kay's wording, but in his book at the
> > bottom of p. 315, he writes (after a list of how template
> > matching is done):
> >
> >   "If there are *no* [my emphasis] templates that match
> > the selected node, the built-in template for the relevant
> > node type is used."
> >
> >   the way i read this is that the "node()" test *would*
> > match a comment(), and thus my template would be used.
> > apparently, that's not what he meant, but you can see
> > how it could be interpreted that way, i hope.
>
> but that actually would imply that kay contrdicts himself.
>
> XPath rec says: A node test node() is true for any node of any type
> *whatsoever*

i definitely don't buy *that*, since most of the docs are adamant
that, at the very least, an attribute node would not match node()
since, technically, an attribute node is not considered a child
node.  i'm getting confused again.

> anyway: if you are really interested in resolving this issue, i'd suggest you
> post it at the xsl mailing list, both kay and veillard (author of xsltproc, if
> i remember right) will probably be eager to proove their transformer is conformant.

i think i'll do just that.

> or you take a pragmatic approach and just include comment() and pi(),
> since the w3c recommendations are ambiguous sometimes.

i'm doing that now, but it sure would be nice to nail this
once and for all.

rday