Subject: DOCBOOK-APPS: docbook2txt and mediaobjects

--OwLcNYc0lM97+oe1

Hi all,

There's something that I have been wondering about for a bit.

environment:
Debian GNU/Linux testing
docbook-utils package v0.6.12-3

I find that when I run docbook2txt, it first uses the HTML conversion,
then uses lynx or something to make the conversion from HTML to text.
All in all, that seems like a fine idea., except that none of my figures
and pictures come out.  The pictures there's no getting around, but I
figured I could add a <textobject> to the <mediaobject> and then draw
some ascii art to replace my .pdf or .png. =20

No luck, since .png is the preferred <mediaobject> type for html. =20

Is this a problem with my installation (is the <textobject> supposed to
go in an ALT tag or something?) or is it a problem with the way the
docbook2xxx tools are crunching my document?  It seems as though the
point of having alternatives in a mediaobject is for precisely this
reason, yet the docbook2xxx tools can only really crunch documents in
one of two ways, print or html. =20

I've seen things on this list about a number of programs that I don't
know about or how to use; I have _only_ crunched docbook documents by
running 'docbook2xxx mydoc.xml' where xxx is one of txt, html, or pdf.
Is there a different tool that I'm supposed to be using?  (this isn't
the interesting question -- I still have more reading to do)

Thanks for your help!

-ben

--=20
Ben Hartshorne