Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: dsl + jadetex font tweaking

>Kevin Dunn <kdunn@hsc.edu> writes:
>
>> I have an almost insignificant problem that I have had little
>> success in understanding--the degree symbol in my generated pdf has
>> extra whitespace at the end. I have looked in the .tex output from
>> openjade and jadetex and there is no extra whitespace there. I can
>> only suspect that tex itself thinks that the symbol is wider than it
>> acutally is.
>
>Woah, no idea.  Submit as a bug against jadetex, though it might be a
>TeX issue...

It looks like a stylesheet issue, though I have no idea at what point in the chain it could be fixed. The dsl stylesheet writes the ascii code for the degree symbol into the tex file. TeX understands the symbol and prints it, but stupidly, with too much space between the symbol and the next character. TeX actually has a smart degree symbol, \textdegree. Currently I run my tex through a sed script to change all the ascii degrees into textdegrees. It looks just like it should, but I have no idea how to massage the stylesheets into outputting \textdegree for &deg;

I will include an example in the one I am creating for the "page number" problem.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
Professor of Chemistry