Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: two issues with XSLT processors -- xsltproc and xalan

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:44:11AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:06:48AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:50:57AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > > <xsl:output indent="yes"> to get indented, hierarchical output:
> > >
> > > 1) works great with xalan.  xsltproc, on the other hand, doesn't
> > >    seem to recognize this attribute although, in all fairness,
> > >    no XSLT processor is *required* to do so
> >
> >   It does for me, I use it all the time :-)
>
> It works for me with xsltproc as well (libxml 20504,
> libxslt 10027).  In the case of fo output, there are many

  Okay, the whole problem is for HTML output. Basically libxslt/libxml2
does not indent, it just use line returns. The reason is taht HTML output
is targetting web browsers, and web browsers acts as a very annoying
population when it comes to reacting on white space, seems none of them
really follow the rules of HTML whitespace significance, and as a result
doing a real indenting is very tricky to get right on the full set of
existing browsers. So for HTML output I only do the minimal work allowing
to keep the output readable but not taking any risk.
  HTML and XML serialization code are completely different in libxml2.

Daniel