Subject: Shared text entities and encoding

My document is split in separate XML files (chapters) and glued together
using XInclude. The Makefile creates a single XML file out of the different
source files using 'xmllint --xinclude...'. This works fine so far.

Now I want to use 'Shared text entities' like proposed by Robert Stayton
in his excellent 'Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets'
(http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/ModularDoc.html#ModularEntities).

My XML documents use ISO-8859-1 as encoding. If I try to use a file like

<!ENTITY rev "/main/1">
<!ENTITY date "19. März 2003">
<!ENTITY month "März 2003">

for my global entities, and reference it in my XML file xmllint does not
like this:

$> xmllint --xinclude file.xml > file-xinclude.xml
file.ent:2: error: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
<!ENTITY date "19. Mõrz 2003">
                     ^
file.ent:2: error: Bytes: 0xE4 0x72 0x7A 0x20
<!ENTITY date "19. Mõrz 2003">
                     ^

So how do I tell xmllint that the encoding in my entity file is ISO-8859-1?
Or how do I setup my entity file correctly?

Michael
--
office:  michael.wiedmann@detewe.de
private: mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                 http://www.miwie.org/