Subject: XInclude: multiple <preface>s

I try to separate a large <book> into smaller XML file using XInclude.
That works of course in general but how do I put several <prefaces>s
into a separate XML file and XInclude it?

<book>
 <bookinfo>
 </bookinfo>

 <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"
   href="preface.xml" />

 <chapter>
 </chapter>
</book>

If 'preface.xml' contains more than one <preface> (which is IMHO valid
DocBook), then

$ xmllint -xmllint book-master.xml > book.xml

complains like:

preface.xml:76: error: Extra content at the end of the document
<preface id="download">
^
XInclude: could not load preface.xml, and no fallback was found

Any workaround?

Michael
--
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org