Subject: Re: XHTML and chunking parameters

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:05:28AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:

> / Geoff Leach <gl@cs.rmit.edu.au> was heard to say:
> | The parameters I had in mind when I originally asked about whether
> | it was appropriate to set them in the html2xhtml translation are
> |
> | chunker.output.doctype-public
> | chunker.output.doctype-system
> | chunker.output.encoding
> |
> | to be set (respectively) to
> |
> | '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN'
> | 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'
> | 'UTF-8'
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> | In my original post I was seeking clarification rather than suggesting
> | that the chunking parameters should be set in the html2xhtml
> | translation. I'm clearer about it now (I think) - xsl:output acts as a
> | global default, which can be overriden by the chunker parameters. Is
> | that right?
>
> Yes. Here's the scoop. There's no way to set the value of xsl:output
> attributes with parameters, you have to hard code them into the
> stylesheets. So the default is not to output any doctype.
>
> The chunker parameters exist to make it easier to output a doctype on
> chunking extensions that accept these parameters.
>
> But in the XHTML stylesheets, the xsl:output attributes are already
> set and there seems to be no need to set the chunker parameters. If
> you want to override them, you can still set them to something else.
>
> So it's a little inconsistent, but I think that's OK.

Just so you have the complete set, these are the DOCTYPEs
output by xsltproc and saxon with the default settings
of the 1.60.1 stylesheets:

                      xsltproc             Saxon
html/docbook.xsl       none                 none
html/onechunk.xsl      [1]                  none
xhtml/docbook.xsl      [2]                  [2]
xhtml/onechunk.xsl     none                 [2]

[1] <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

[2] <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

                                            email: bobs@sco.com