Subject: Re: [docbook] Can't install DocBook

Hi James,

You wrote:

> Is there any up to date document that goes through the steps, one by
> one, in plain English for installing Docbook?

It's sort of system- and distro-dependent. You can do it all manually if
you have to, but most Linux distros have packages that are easier to
install and maintain.

For more info, take a look at the DocBookPackages page at DocBook Wiki -

  http://docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookPackages

If you have specific questions about how to get everything set up on the
particular Linux distro you're running, please say which one it is.
Whatever distro it is, there is probably somebody on the list that can
give you more specific guidance about what to install and where.

> I installed openjade, jadetex, the Docbook files, docbook-dsssl,
> entity files, setup SGML_CATALOG_FILES or whatever it was, fiddled
> with my TeX to get hugelatex, jadetex and pdfjadetex going, and
> installed extra perl modules and docbook2X, and still, nothing.
> Can't get it working at all. :-(

It'll help if you say just what it is that you can't get working. Is is
that you'r unable to open DocBook documents and edit them in your editor
-- Emacs/PSGML or whatever? Or is that you can generate HTML or PDF or
both from your DocBook source files?

> Is there any SINGLE file I can download, that will just install it for
> me so I can start using it?

No, there isn't. But if you're not doing so already, you should install
everything using the package manager for your distro. Along with
installing everything for you, that may automate also run some
post-install stuff to automate configuration steps that maybe you're
trying to do manually now.

  --Mike

PGP signature