Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Mathematics and DocBook

Option #3 works for me; but then math isn't the primary content in the
documents that I see.

The idea of some sort of macro that expands into the proper markup is
intriguing. I presume that you want to write and read raw DocBook XML the
way that you'd work with LaTeX. IMHO, there are two fundamental issues
involved here:

- While usually suitable for human consumption,
  DocBook really is an exchange format. It's widely
  used as an authoring and storage format, but it was
  designed as an exchange format.

- Simple replacement of text is easy enough with entities.
  But it won't work as macros. General entities must
  be well formed, i.e., you can't just break the
  <inlineequation> gibberish into three parts. You could
  have a couple of entity references within an entity
  declaration as placeholders, but you'll only get one
  shot at redeclaration -- not much good.

A quick hack could involve some m4 macro trickery, picking up parameters
from a processing instruction.

Or maybe a sprinkle of XSLT or DSSSL, depending on your tool chain. That
could prove quite useful as a general mechanism, not just for writing math.

kind regards
Peter Ring