Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Some problems with rendering db -> PDF

---- Start SpamAssassin results
7.20 points, 7 required;
*  1.2 -- BODY: Message is 0% to 10% HTML
*  6.0 -- RAW: Message text disguised using base-64 encoding

---- End of SpamAssassin results

--- Begin Message ---
Marc,

I remember having had the same problem. If you have a look into docbook/common/en.xml (and all the other localization files), you will find something similar like

   <l:gentext key="hyphenation-character" text="&#8208;"/><!-- 0x2010 Hyphen -->

I made the observation, that many of the fonts you usually use for PDF output don't have this character available in their character set. So, what I did as a (probably wrong) workaround, I replaced the "hyphenation-dash" w/ a normal "dash/minus sign", thus ovverriding the above template with something like

   <l:gentext key="hyphenation-character" text="&#0045;"/><!-- 0x002D Hyphen-Minus -->

Which should produce nice looking hyphenation dashes for most fonts. This is a pre Stylesheets 1.62.0 solution. I think, with the new font sets, this workaround should be obsolete for a decent choice of fonts in the body.font.set parameter.

HTH,
Johann

Johann Richard
IC & DSP Design Engineer