Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] pdf output

Jason,

Comments inline:

On Wednesday, Sep 3, 2003, at 00:01 US/Eastern, Jason Lewis wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your reply.

<snipped/>

> Thanks for the tips. I'll give both a go. I was really looking for a
> more out of the box approach though. Is there somewhere one can find a
> list of the shortcommings and perhaps workarounds for them?

I don't think there's any single central location for a list of
shortcomings or workarounds. I depended rather heavily on Bob Stayton's
Docbook XSL Guide (http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/) and Dave
Pawson's XSL FAQs at http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html

I would note that using Docbook does not supply an "out of the box
approach" - better be ready to do some customization ;)

<snipped/>

>  > It should also be noted that it is possible to avoid the use of
> tables
>> for many cases in FO-generated output, as FO provides several other
>> formatting options for cases that would require a table in HTML, so
>> you may want to investigate using FO block-level formatting (of
>> things such as variablelist for example) to see if that would meet
>> your needs in this case.
>
> One of the things I want to do is have a block of text on the left,
> and an image on the right of the page.

<snipped/>
> I tried to do it didn't really work with the PassiveTex PDF output.
>
> Can acheive the same thing without the use of tables?

Without trying it, I wouldn't know the exact markup I would use to do
this, but it should also be possible to accomplish this using a simple
two-column table - do you have source I can look at?

- JohnK