Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Custom layer and Chunking problem

Regarding the loss of chunking for sections when you use your customization:

The customization of chunking got a bit more complex in version 1.61.x
when Norm refactored the way chunking templates are assembled
into a stylesheet.  His solution enabled separate customization of
chunking behavior and styling behavior.  But now you need two files
to customize chunking in order to keep import precedence straight.
In your customization, your section template has higher import precedence
and so it interferes with the templates that chunk sections.

This reference describes how to set up the two files for customizing
chunking
since version 1.61.x of the stylesheets:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ChunkingCustomization.html

Regarding using id as class attribute:

The stylesheets have a partial solution already.  The
'generate.id.attributes' parameter,
when set to 1, will copy (or generate) an id attribute through to the HTML
some elements.  Then your CSS stylesheet can use an #id selector on them.
Unfortunately, that parameter is only used for divisions up to but not
including
sections.  So you could could see how it is added for chapter (see
html/component.xsl)
and add it for sections. Then you don't have to modify a lot of templates.

 I realize this is different from your customization that
uses class.  But in this case, you really are using unique IDs and should
use
the id attribute and id selectors.  That way you can avoid an accidental
collision between a real class name and an id class name.