Subject: [fboiteux@calistel.com: [docbook] Questions about Refentries in an Appendix ...]

[I'm moving this item over to docbook-apps where items
like this should be discussed].

> From: Frédéric BOITEUX <fboiteux@calistel.com>
> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:52:30 +0200
> Subject: [docbook] Questions about Refentries in an Appendix ...
>
> 	Hello,
>
>   I've some problems formatting a document which have
> some Refentries in an appendix :
>
> - the title of the appendix isn't at the top of a page (no page break) as
>   the docbook documentation suggest it should

Is this appendix in an article or book?  If it is in a book,
you should get a new page sequence for each appendix.
If it is in an article, then the stylesheets don't start
a new page sequence for an appendix.

There is a separate template with match="article/appendix"
in fo/component.xsl to handle an appendix in a article.
You could customize that to add a break-before="always"
to its fo:block.

> - I would like to have Refentries' titles in the toc :
> how this could be done ?

Refentries should already have entries in the TOC,
using the refname element as the TOC text.

> - I've tried to tell to put a page break before
> each level1 section with a fo stylesheet containing :
>
>   <xsl:attribute-set name="section.title.level1.properties">
>     <xsl:attribute name="font-size">  <!-- If I don't put this,
>             my titles are in a small font !? -->
>       <xsl:value-of select="$body.font.master * 2.0736"/>
>       <xsl:text>pt</xsl:text>
>     </xsl:attribute>
>
>     <!-- added : -->
>     <xsl:attribute name="break-before">page</xsl:attribute>
>   </xsl:attribute-set>

>   all my level 1 sections of my document (an article)
>   are on the top of a page (what I want)
>   but also in my appendix, all titles of refentry's parts
>   (Name, Description, Options, Files ...) !!
>   How can I could avoid this ?

This method for inducing page breaks is
from the First Edition of my book, and it turns out to be
not very good for two reasons.  First, the section.heading
template that uses this property set is also used for other
elements, so you get the side effects you experienced.
Second, the page break occurs *after* the fo:block containing
the section ID, so the PDF bookmarks land you on the page
*before* the section.

I saw no easy way to get proper section page breaks, so
I modified the stylesheets to add new property sets just
for sections.  In the next release, you will be able to
do this:

<xsl:attribute-set name="section.level1.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="break-before">page</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

and you will not have the side effects of the previous method.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com