Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Hebrew Characters in PDFs

Dave Pawson wrote:
 > At 11:02 28/09/2003 +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
 >
 >>> For HTML output, the browser knows where the available
 >>> screen fonts are because the browser is configured into
 >>> the display system.
 >>
 >> An quite analogously the FO renderer should be able to find the
 >> available fonts by itself, no?
 >
 > No Toby.
 >
 > Not that straightforward.

Well with all due respect, but a post like this is neither informative
nor helpful in any way.

If FOP requires me to extract font metrics from a TTF file with a tool
supplied by FOP, then FOP should be able to do that automatically by
itself, AFAICS.
It also should be able to search for required glyphs, in all fonts
available on the system, AFAICS. (on Windows just scan the typical font
dir for example)

Now my question was: What technical facts keep it from doing that?

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/