Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Missing datetimes in locale files ?

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:19:10PM +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Vitaly Ostanin wrote:
>
> > BTW, until entries doesn't exist in translated file, translators
> > not know what to translate...
>
> Missing entries are marked by lang="en" in xsl/common/ru.xml. Here you
> can easily find missing ones.

Just to be completely clear here, the missing entries
with lang="en" are in the distribution files, not the
source files.  A translator has to read the distributed
file to find which elements need translation (have a
lang="en" attribute) and copy those into the source file.
Alternately, you can run the Auditlocale.pl Perl script
included in the locale directory to see what strings need
translation in a given locale file.  There is a README in
the locale source directory now that explains the process.

This puts more of a burden on the translators, but no one
was putting new English entries into the 43 (!) individual
locale source files.  That lead to breakages at runtime
in various languages.  So I modified the build process
to make sure at least the distributed files had all the
expected elements, even if they were not all translated.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com