Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] [Website] Refining some style issues (CSS?)

Marc

I would seriously consider stopping hacking around
with tables to do page layout and move over to
CSS for all your layout and page formatting.  No
more icky spacer.gif's and other such... I have just
(re)done my first site recently and its quite a pleasure
to take all the clutter out!

If you have not yet "bought into" use of CSS, I would
suggest reading:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/journey/
I am happy to supply more links to stories, case studies
etc if you need them.

Derek

>>> Marc Baaden <BAADEN@SMPLINUX.DE>28/10/2003 09:27:37 >>>

Hi,

I am currently trying to achieve the following with website:
Have the whole left side of the page (navigation toc + part below)
in a different color (black in my case) than the body text.
My current "achievements" can be seen at eg

http://baaden.nerim.net/ws/links.html
http://baaden.nerim.net/ws/cv.html

Several points remain that I don't quite understand / cannot
fix:

- why do both pages (cv.html and links.html) differ in width ?
cv.html is larger than links.html .. and ideally how to fix
this ? From the xml source the difference is not apparent.

- how can the black background of the toc be continued below,
eg where the date field is (I have already tried a customization
of the footer, but the problem is that it is never the same
width as above, and furthermore trying different browsers -
safari, IE, opera, mozilla - yields different results :((

- what about the very slim but visible (and on some pages larger)
white line just above the banner. Any chance to get the completely
black ?

The sources can be found at the same site as
http://baaden.nerim.net/ws/cv.xml
http://baaden.nerim.net/ws/links.xml
http://baaden.nerim.net/ws/mb.css

Thanks in advance for any hints on how to fine-tune the appearance
of the site, probably either with xsl customization or css tweaking,

Cheers,
Marc Baaden