Subject: slides and documents

I wonder if anyone has experimented with coding documents in such a way
that slide presentations can be extracted from them?  In other words,
my (academic) documents are almost all of the basic structure:

intro
literature
case study
conclusion

There might be a second-order sectioning within that as well, but that
itself can only form the skeleton of a presentation.  Any suggestions
on how to code a document such that it can be virtually completely
built directly from the document (as opposed to a separate "slides"
file or whatever)?  Maybe have "invisible" sections" somehow?

Bruce