Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <itemizedlist><variablelist><funcsynopsis>

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:22:11AM -0600, John Himpel wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 21:00, Bob Stayton wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 09:10:47PM -0600, John Himpel wrote:
> > > When I use the following markup:
> > >
> > > <itemizedlist>
> > >   <listitem>
> > >     <variablelist>
> > >       <varlistentry>
> > >         <term>
> > >           <funcsynopsis>
> > >             <funcprototype>
> > >               <funcdef>
> > >                 int
> > >                 <function>xf86GetVerbosity</function>
> > >               </funcdef>
> > >               <void />
> > >             </funcprototype>
> > >           </funcsynopsis>
> > >         </term>
> > >         <listitem>
> > >           <simpara>which returns the value of
> > >             <varname>xf86Verbose</varname>
> > >           </simpara>
> > >         </listitem>
> > >       </varlistentry>
> > >     </variablelist>
> > >   </listitem>
> > >   <listitem>
> > >     <variablelist>
> > >       <varlistentry>
> > >         <term>
> > >           <funcsynopsis>
> > >             <funcprototype>
> > >               <funcdef>
> > >                 int
> > >                 <function>xf86GetDepth</function>
> > >               </funcdef>
> > >               <void />
> > >             </funcprototype>
> > >           </funcsynopsis>
> > >         </term>
> > >          <listitem>
> > >            <simpara>which returns the
> > > <parameter>-depth</parameter> command line
> > >              If not set on the command line, <constant>-1</constant>
> > >              is returned.
> > >            </simpara>
> > >         </listitem>
> > >       </varlistentry>
> > >     </variablelist>
> > >   </listitem>
> > > </itemizedlist>
> > >
> > > This yields something similar to this:
> > >
> > > int xf86GetVerbosity():
> > > (circle)
> > >      which returns the value of xf86Verbose
> > >
> > > I think the stylesheets cannot cope with the level of nesting of the
> > > funcsynopsis.
> > >
> > > Can anyone else replicate the problem.
> > >
> > > I am using the latest xsltproc/4.2 dtd/1.62.4 xsl-stylesheets
> >
> > You didn't mention if this problem is in the
> > HTML or print output.
>
> Bob,
>
> Sorry about that!
>
> I have only tried HTML.  I haven't tried PRINT yet.
>
> John

Hmm, I get the following with your example when I view it
with IE5 or Netscape 4.7:

    int xf86GetVerbosity():
           which returns the value of xf86Verbose

where "o" is the bullet.  That is, the bullet is not out
of order as in your example.  What browser are you using?
Is CSS involved?

The bullet is above the term, but that's expected because
the variablelist in the itemizedlist/listitem starts a

I don't think you can get the term to line up with
the bullet without using CSS to adjust the
div margins.

I do see one oddity: the right paren in the
expression is slightly lower than the left
paren.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com