Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Including plain text: CDATA

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:53:57AM +0100, Michael Wiedmann wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> > I'm not surprised you didn't get any answers on this one.
> > I was hoping someone would have a brilliant solution, but
> > it doesn't look like it.  Basically it is really hard to
> > get angle brackets as text in your HTML or XML output as
> > it breaks the processing model.
>
> Is your explanation valid for output method "text" too (which
> is what I have)?

Huh?  I missed the part where you said you
were using the "text" output method.  If that
is the case, then you shouldn't have a
problem.  The rendering of < to text output
is simply < as you want.  If you aren't getting
that, then something is wrong with your processor.

> > 2.  You can get literal angle brackets for HTML or XML
> > output when your text is contained in:
> >
> > <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes">...</xsl:text>
> >
> > But this is tricky to do for your input, because
> > you cannot put a <xsl:value-of> element inside
> > an <xsl:text> element.
>
> Would it be possible to get the contents of the file in a
> variable with <xsl:copy-of> (or similar) and the use this
> variable in <xsl:text>...</xsl:text> ?

That's what I was trying to say.  "Use a variable" means
using <xsl:value-of select="$variable"/>, which is not
allowed inside xsl:text.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com