Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tools for DocBook authoring by non-hackers

At 07:52 14/01/2004, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am interested to know what (Microsoft Windows-based) tools people
>are using to allow non-hackers to author DocBook documents.  (By
>non-hackers, I mean people who almost certainly have never used a
>command line, and whose document authoring experience is probably
>limited to Microsoft Word.)

Hi Paul.
http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookAuthoringTools may help.

I'm guessing you mean hand editing type authoring?

>I have an upcoming Word->DocBook conversion project in which one of
>the requirements will almost certainly be that my involvement is a
>one-off, and I will need to leave an environment (probably just on a
>single machine) where new documents can be authored, and the various
>output formats can be generated, by office staff whose computing
>skills are probably limited to Microsoft applications.  Training will
>be possible, and there's not necessarily a requirement that the
>application be completely hand-holding and WYSIWYG, but the command
>lines and Makefiles that we are all comfortable with will be out of
>the question, as will editing raw XML.

Word to docbook I'd suggest Upcast, but again the wiki
http://www.docbook.org/wiki/moin.cgi/DocBookTools

To hide your command line stuff,
look out for utility software that builds the commands
and presents it all via a gui?

>The solution does not need to be free, but it needs to be robust.  I
>have a personal preference for XEP as the FO renderer, though if
>people are successfully using some other more integrated solution, I
>am willing to look at anything.

For a one off, XEP. Antenna House is sort of expensive.
Fop and the java setup could produce problems if the docbook
is anything like complex?

HTH DaveP