Subject: Parameterized xi:include?

[This question is broader in scope than docbook, but the expertise is
here, and I'm already subscribed :-).]

Say, I have an XML document that contains some content. I want to
xi:include this document into several other master documents, but with
slightly customized content in each case.

How do I customize the content?

More generally: Is there a way to "pass parameters" (e.g., entity
definitions) to xi:included files?

Or is there a way to represent the customizable content in the
included file by other xi:includes, and then to do some xml:base magic
to get it to include the content from a customizable directory? If so,
could someone give me an example of how to do this?

Another application for "parameterized" XPointer/XPath expressions
would be dynamically generated XML content, e.g. if the URI is
handeled by a database engine. Is there a way to do this?

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279