Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook to WordML

>>Now that it's possible to use XML directly in MS Word 2003, has anyone
>>thought about the possibility of writing some XSL to get from Docbook to
>>WordML.

>Then m$ jumps on you for using it?
Hmm. Possible, but unlikely for conversions _into_ WordML (because you need to pay M$ for the software to read the file which is what they want you to do)

>  or changes it yearly to stop it working?
That's certainly been true historically (and a right pain in the a*** it's been too)

> Why bother.
Well. Readers of my Docbook documents want to use Word. Primarily because they want to be able to edit the docs. And yes, I know, they should edit the XML & build a new lovely PDF but a)they can't be bothered with the new technology, b) They're probably not technically competant, c)I have no control over them and can't afford the marketing & training costs in educating them to "do it properly" and d)They're customers, so they must be right, and they want Word docs, so I have to provide word docs.

Dave, as a developer & XML purist, I agree with your sentiment. Sadly I need to provide what's demanded of me :o(

P.