Subject: DOCTYPE Windows path for file attribute

This post is just to document in the archives a "newbie" mistake that I made
that caused me a lot of grief over the last two days.

I was trying to get the Windows versions of xmllint, xsltproc, and saxon
working with my local version of the DocBook DTD.  No matter
what I tried, none of the applications would find the DTD.

It turns out that I didn't notice that you need three slashes after "file:"
in the DOCTYPE declaration in order for the path to work in Windows. For
example:
<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
"file:///H:/DocBook/docbook4.2/docbookx.dtd">

My problem was that I was assuming the root directory would
be the drive letter and I had two slashes like this:
file://H:/DocBook/docbook4.2/docbookx.dtd.

--
Don Adams