Subject: xsl-stylesheets: long titles / splitting gentext output

Hi all,

sorry if this is an FAQ but I'm somewhat puzzled by it and found no
reference to it anywhere.

I have a docbook-xml (dtd 4.2) document, that I transform to FO's using
xsl-stylesheets-1.61.2 and xsltproc (libxml-2.6.2/libxslt-1.1.0) and
then format it to PDF using XEP-3.6.3. Now I have some style problems
with the output which boil down to the way, translated strings are
returned by gentext.

For one long titles get rendered like

2.3.2 This is a title so long that it has to
be broken onto the next line

But I'd rather have it look like

2.3.2 This is a title so long that it has to
      be broken onto the next line

^^^^^^ This space should be automatically adjusted to the width of the
label

I had a look into the FO stylesheets to see if I could adjust them to
produce some proper fo:blocks I could use for this adjustment. But I
found that gentext is already returning the whole string including the
label so that I would have to split it again using some substring-after()
XPath function or the like.

My other problem is with the chapter titlepages. I'd like to emulate the
TeX look and change the standard layout

Chapter 1. Title of the Chapter

to something like

Chapter 1.

Title of the Chapter

Same problem: To do so I'd have to split the text returned by gentext.

So my questions are:

1. Are there mechanisms already in place I haven't found yet that would
accomplish the functions I need?

2. If no: Is there a clean way (meaning something else than scanning for
". " using substring-after()) to make gentext do what I want and get
label and title string in separate pieces?

Thanks for your help in advance.
--
bye, Michael
I'm against it!