Subject: Other elements within Option breaking in Framemaker processing

I've encountered a strange problem with enclosing other elements within
the Option element when that Option element is at the start of a Para in
a Listitem; I suppose it may be a wider problem, but I've only tested
this extensively with Option.

The publishing system I'm using throws DocBook XML through template
document in Framemaker 7 and produces a final PDF.  I've set up the EDD
and template document to format ListItems in Itemizedlists as
bullet-pointed paragraphs using a particular paragraph style in
Framemaker.  The template/EDD knows to put text in an Option element in
a particular font, and to italicize text in the Replaceable element.

So, in Docbooking out some options for a UNIX command, I have XML like:

<itemizedlist>
   <listitem>
     <para>
       <option>-f</option>,
<option>--foo=<replaceable>SOMETHING</replaceable></option> specify some
behavior in which <replaceable>SOMETHING</replaceable> represents some
variable value.
     </para>
   </listitem>
   <listitem>
     <para>
       <option>--snafu=<replaceable>OTHERTHING</replaceable></option>
specify some behavior in which <replaceable>OTHERTHING</replaceable>
represents some variable value.</para></listitem>
   <listitem>
     <para>
       <option>-b</option>,
<option>--bar=<replaceable>THIRD</replaceable></option> specify some
behavior in which <replaceable>THIRD</replaceable> represents some
variable value.
     </para>
   </listitem>
</itemizedlist>

The first and third items in that itemized list process exactly as
expected: they're in the bullet-pointed paragraph style; "-f", "--foo=",
"-b", and "--bar=" are set in the specified font; "SOMETHING" and
"THIRD" are set in the italicized version of that font.  Great.

The weird thing that I can't figure out is how the *second* item in that
itemized list gets messed up.  It gets formatted in the regular body
text paragraph style, and sets "--snafu=" in the regular text font, BUT
does set "OTHERTHING" in both the font specified for Option elements and
in the italics specified for Replaceable elements.

The only different is that the second Listitem>Para begins with an
Option element that contains a Replaceable element, whereas the first
and third begin with an Option element that contains no other elements,
and the Option element that contains a Replaceable occurs later in the
Listitem>Para.

I've tried putting in a random character outside the Option element of
the second Listitem above, like so:
<listitem>
   <para>
     X<option>--snafu=<replaceable>OTHERTHING</replaceable></option>
specify some behavior in which <replaceable>OTHERTHING</replaceable>
represents some variable value.</para></listitem>
... and that processes beautifully (except that it has this random
unwanted character in it).  I've also tried moving the Replaceable
element outside of the main Option element, though keeping it in its own
Option element, like so:
<listitem>
   <para>

specify some behavior in which <replaceable>OTHERTHING</replaceable>
represents some variable value.</para></listitem>
...and that processes beautifully too, though the XML seems somewhat
inelegant.

Essentially, whenever I put an Option element that contains another
element (it's not just Replaceable) at the *start* of a paragraph, it
breaks the paragraph formatting instructions and some of the element
formatting instructions that Framemaker usually knows about.  But I can
put Option elements that contain another element anywhere except the
start of the paragraph, and they're fine.

There must be _something_ in my Framemaker template/EDD that's getting
confused, but no matter how I stare at it (or twiddle the XML), I can't
figure out what (not that these processing instructions are terribly
complicated!).

Does anyone have any thoughts about what I might look for that is
gremlining this stuff?

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl E. Anderson  mailto:cea@ncipher.com  http://www.ncipher.com/
nCipher Corporation Ltd.   +44 1223 723690   Fax: +44 1223 723601