Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [Q]  multilingual website?

	Asunto: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [Q]  multilingual website?
	Fecha: dom, mar 21, 2004 at 08:09:05 +0000

Citando a  Dave Pawson (dpawson@nildram.co.uk):
> At 00:03 21/03/2004, luis miguel morillas wrote:
>
> >If we want to apply this workflow to docbook website sites,
> >i think we must to follow the next process:
> >
> >1. create docbook-original.xml files and layout.xml file.
> >2. generate docbook.po (xml2po) files and translate them (trasnlators task)
> >3. generate docbook-translated.xml files (po2xml).
> >4. generate html files with xslt processor, hacking layout.xml to
> >   make the new docbook-translated.xml files.
>
> What do you expect the docbook-original.xml files to look like?

No, i'm thinking of docbook-website files!!! (perhaps i haven't explained
the idea well enough).

> With no content?
>   I don't know what a .po file is?

Is a ready-to-translate text file to do the translation from the original
language to the new one, automatically extracted from xml files.
 It contains text chains and few xml tags.

> Why not translate the docbook-original into x.en.xml and x.fr.xml?

I'm thinking of two different tasks: author's and translator's.
Translator doesn't have to see all the docbook tags. The use of this
technologie makes it easy to have website updated translations  when the
original files change.

> Is there something special about the .po files that makes
> them easy to work with for translation?
>
> Which files are used as the input to step 4?

I'm thinking of layout.xml, [original-docbook-website].xml and
[translated-docbook-website].xml files with a good Makefile ;)

regards,

--

Luis Miguel

No a las patentes de software en Europa