Subject: RE: [docbook] DocBook XML example projects posted. One formatted with FrameMaker 7.0. One formatted with DocBook XSL.

Steve,
I've long wondered if it would even be possible to get frame's EDD stuff to work with a DTD as rich as docbook. Thank you for sharing your findings in such detail. I noticed the following comment in your xsl:

  <!-- I am told that FOP 0.20.5 is known to be buggy and lacking required
       functionality. Experts suggest trying RederX XEP, and at least one
       expert has stated: "If you use FOP, you simply will not get the output
       expected when applying legal XSL." I hope that is false, because I
       use FOP and I do not want to buy XEP.    -->

If you haven't already, you should definitly take a look at Eliot Kimber's comparison of fo renderers:

http://www.isogen.com/papers/production-quality-xsl-fo.pdf

David

Btw., you've got a couple of params declared twice:

$ saxonize -o f2Arch.fo f2Arch.xml f2Arch.xsl
Error at xsl:param on line 532 of file:/c:/Documents and Settings/dcramer/My Doc
uments/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/f2Arch.xsl:
  Duplicate global variable declaration
Error at xsl:param on line 535 of file:/c:/Documents and Settings/dcramer/My Doc
uments/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/f2Arch.xsl:
  Duplicate global variable declaration
Error at xsl:param on line 553 of file:/c:/Documents and Settings/dcramer/My Doc
uments/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/f2Arch.xsl:
  Duplicate global variable declaration
Error at xsl:param on line 556 of file:/c:/Documents and Settings/dcramer/My Doc
uments/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/XSL_DocBook_XML_example/f2Arch.xsl:
  Duplicate global variable declaration
Transformation failed: Failed to compile stylesheet. 4 errors detected.