Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Setting doctype in output files

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicolas Pillot" <nicolas.pillot@polymtl.ca>
To: "Justus H. Piater" <Justus.Piater@ULg.ac.be>
Cc: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 10:10 PM

> Selon "Justus H. Piater" <Justus.Piater@ULg.ac.be>:
>
> > See the write.chunk template in the DocBook XSL stylesheets,
> > or use it directly.
>
> I am doing the same kind of thing. But when i look at write.chunk, i see
that it
> checks which extension is available (exsl:document, saxon:output,
> xalanredirect:write) and uses the first one found, in that order. Each can
> specifiy the doctype except xalanredirect. I am using Xalan-J (shipped
with the
> jsdk2 1.4.2-04), and it seems not to support exsl:document because i get
this
> error when processing :
>
> Erreur XSLT (javax.xml.transform.TransformerException): For extension
element,
> could not find method

org.apache.xalan.lib.ExsltCommon.document(org.apache.xalan.extensions.XSLPro
cessorContext,
> org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemExtensionCall).
>
> Then looking at the javadoc (google exsltcommon xalan), i can see the
> ExsltCommon only has two methods, none of which is "document" ; so it is
quite
> normal it fails. But am am a little surprised it is not supported...
>
> If i made a mistake, i'd be happy to have a solution, and of course any
comment
> is welcome :-)

This is a bit odd.  The test in the write.chunk template is:
<xsl:when test="element-available('exsl:document')">

Why would the processor report that it had a function that it does not
support?

It sound like you would be better off using the xalanredirect:write function
instead.  I think perhaps the selection order for the chunking function was
established before Xalan added support for EXSLT.  Since it is unlikely that
xalanredirect is in any processor but Xalan, it would be safe to move that
into the first position within the choose order.

DocBook Consulting
bobs@sagehill.net

docbook-apps-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org, or visit
http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/.