Subject: newbie help with DSSSL

Hi,

I'm very new to both docbook and this mailing list. I've got a large document
spread over multiple files using docbook. I can export it to any format I
want (I'm using PDF's, and will probably use them exclusively).

I'd like to change several things about the page formatting. THe problem is,
after looking at DSSSL, it seems to me that many of the tags I need are
missing...

For example, the page numbers in the TOC are wrong.. they don't count the
pages the title page, and table of contnets take up.. this menas that the
page numbers in gv or kghostview don't match the page numbers in the TOC. Is
there a way to change this? I can't see any nice tag to do it...

Also, things like changing text colours, specifying an image for the title
page, an image for *all* the page backgrounds.... little fine tunging
changes...

so, am I on completely the wrong track here? All the documentation provided by
the docbook wiki (which is being attacked BTW) seems to be too complex for me
to be able to understand it...

At the moment, I have a file called "stylesheet", and I'm converting the
docbook file like so:

docbook2pdf -d stylesheet booc.xml

Can someone please explain this? or point out the resources I'm missing ;)

Thanks,

--

Thomi Richards,
thomi@once.net.nz