Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] newbie help with DSSSL

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:58:17PM +1200, Thomas Clive Richards wrote:
> the following lines are used:
>
> (define ($page-number-format$ #!optional (gi (gi)))
>         "1")
>

> Apart from not knowing what it does, it's not listed *anywhere* in the DSSSL
> documentation... I know, I've just been through the entire reference.

This is an overload of a function defined in the docbook-dsssl, which
defines the style of page numbering.  This one avoids to get roman
numbers in the ToC.

> Furthermore, in the extensions.dsl file, there are a few lines like:
>
> (define color-red (color rgb-color-space 1 0 0))
>
> I'm assuming that this defines the keyword "color-red" to a valid RGB color,
> correct?

correct.

> why is this done? I can't see it being used anywhere else, in any of
> the other files....

It's used in further, non-publicized customizations above these
stylesheets.  An example is:

      (make display-group
        color: color-red
        (literal "NO INVPARTNUMBER DEFINED - INTERNAL USE ONLY"))

> Where can I find this information?

I wrote this one solely using the DSSSL draft as documentation.  In
cas you don't have it, you can get it from
ftp://ftp.ornl.gov/pub/sgml/WG8/DSSSL/html.zip

> in refcard.dsl, a similar line defines "bg-color". THis makes some more
> sense.. is "bg-color" something the system looks for, when generating PDF's?

bg-color here is just a variable holding a color definition, like
color-red above.  It is used in refcard.dsl as a value for a
background-color: attribute.  This one is later used by pdfjadetex.

> ummm.. now I'm completely lost. I'm using docbook2x, and have read the man
> page, but can't see anything about page numbers, or references...

Do you see docbook2pdf run pdfjadetex multiple times ?  Do you see any
message at the end of the run saying you must run pdfjadetex again ?

> I've looked through these, and I'm afraid I still don't understand... why are
> some items defined in the DSSSL docs (I'm using these:
> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/dsssl/current/doc/print/index.html ),
> but not others?

This is the documentation of the docbook-dsssl stylesheets, see URL
above for the doc of he DSSSL language.

> > Your xml file contains only "content" information, as opposed to
> > "presentation", which is defined by the stylesheet.  docbook2pdf is
> > part of the docbook2x package, and takes care of the details of
> > applying the stylesheet (as does docbook-2-html from sgml2x, with
> > different features).
> >

> Are you saying that the values I can modify in the stylesheet are dependant on
> which converter I use? If so, which converter should I be using?

No, I just mean that each of those scripts (docbook2x, sgml2x) can do
different operations aside from just applying the stylesheet.

> > Note that, if you're using XML for the markup, you may want to look at
> > XSL stylesheets, although I don't know what the current states of the
> > available toolchains are, wrt PDF generation.
> >

> Actually, I'm 99% sure that my markup could be XML or SGML, I'd just have to
> change the filename.... I can't remember why I chose to use a .xml extension
> on the files....

Well, it's the DOCTYPE line in your file which says which one you're using :)

HTH,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Senior Free-Software Consultant          Consultant senior en Logiciels Libres