Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Conversion - Indesign to Docbook

Hello everyone!

Had posted a query some days back. Here is the solution that we finally
managed to implement.

All the text in the indesign file was placed in one single frame.

-We broke this up into various frames using story editor and rectangle
frame tool.
-then imported the docbook dtd file.
-tagged each frame to the relevant tag (created wrapper tags manually
wherever required).
-exported the file as an XML document.
-added docbook tags to the exported XML file for which information was
not present in the InDesign document.
-validated the generated docbook xml using eDE (e-novative docbook
environment).

Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Rgds,
Shilpa

-----Original Message-----
From: Brendon McKinley [mailto:Brendon.McKinley@anu.edu.au]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 12:34 PM
To: shilpau@enablingdimensions.com; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

I have used Adobe Pagemaker -> export HTML (via pagemaker) -> tidy ->
DocBook doclet -> DocBook XML

Probably a bit long-winded but the PageMaker documents were large (300+
pages) and I needed to indicate pagination in the DocBook xml based on
the hardcopy version. The page breaks are indicated by comments in the
pagemaker exported html and I wrote a stylesheet that takes care of any
of the discrepancies between the docbook doclet xml and my DocBook xml
requirements. Images are a pain but my stylesheet takes care of them
once they have been exported from the pagemaker files.
You could use the same process for InDesign.